The equality of the Iroquois


“All men are created equal”. Have you ever wondered what that meant. The tribes of the Iroquois nation did. They were very war like until about 1390 when Hiawatha united them through a constitutional government. The tales of Hiawatha and his spirit guardian, De-ka-nah-wi-da, are all about creating peace and power among the Native Americans that spoke a common language. They lived separately from each other and warred against each other even though they spoke the same language.
I have struggled with reconciling the dichotomy of equality with liberty. They seem as though they are contrary to each other. Both are necessary and it is the Iroquois and other tribes of the area that show us the power of equality in community. When I desire to express my individual liberty it can be at the expense of others. For example, I could desire the property of an Indian tribe in New York State. I could sentimentally make up a virtuous noble Indian tribe based on local folk legend and call them the Mohick-alalas. They are the good Indians. All other Indians are bad. If I tell the story long enough the myth of the noble savage will become a legend. Over time a legend may create truth to justify my position of taking the native’s land for myself since all the noble savages are now extinct. I could even decide to name that land after myself and place the baseball hall of fame there. Fortunately this can not happen in the US because our rights are protected by a constitution. But one of the injustices created by our own constitution was the destruction of theirs. The Native American tribes of the North East balanced equality and liberty quite differently than us.
The Iroquois lived in long houses. Long houses like those that appear above are shared quarters for several families. This is a practical living arrangement in a colder climate. Several families can share food, shelter and warmth. Their society is matrilineal. The roots of their family structure can be traced back through the women’s family. The senior mother owns the property and empowers the chiefs of the people. Like a tree whose roots stretch in every direction are the matrilineal roots of the Mohawk, Seneca, Cayuga, Oneida, Onondaga and later the Pennsylvania Tuscarora Indian tribes.
The emphasis on peace and power in the story that follows is a stage for the virtues that follow. It is because peace and power are absent that they are so cherished in the Iroquois Constitution. At the end of the story after establishing peace and power De-ka-nah-wi-da, the Great Spirit, gives some virtues to focus on. “Cultivate good feelings of friendship, love, and honor for each other always. "All hunting grounds are to be in common. All tribes shall have co-equal rights within your common boundaries. I now proclaim the formation of the League of the Five Iroquois Nations completed. In Annual Council, the Chiefs will smoke the Pipe of Great Peace. Equality is the virtue. Its elements are tolerance and agreement. Equality is noun in the language of virtue. “
Here is the account of De-ka-nah-wi-da, the Great Spirit, meeting Hiawatha.
After leaving his canoe on the east shore, De-ka-nah-wi-da traveled overland to another tribal settlement and asked the Chief, "Have you heard that Peace and Power have come to earth?"
"Yes, I have heard," answered the Chief. "I have been thinking about it so much that I have been unable to sleep."
De-ka-nah-wi-da then explained, "That which caused your wakefulness is now before you. Henceforth, you will be called Chief Hiawatha. You shall help me promote peace among all the tribes, so that the shedding of blood may cease among your people."
"Wait," said Hiawatha. "I will summon my people to hear you speak." All assembled quickly.
"I have brought the good tidings of Peace and Power from the Chief of the Sky Spirits to all people on earth. Bloodshed must cease in the land. The Good Spirit never intended that blood should flow between human beings."
Chief Hiawatha asked his tribe for their answer. One man asked, "What will happen to us if hostile tribes are on either side of us?"
"Those nations have already accepted the good news that I have brought them," replied De-ka-nah-wi-da. Hiawatha's tribe then also accepted the new plan of peace.
http://www.indians.org/welker/hiawatha.htm


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home